The Gatesville State School for Boys

The Gatesville State School for Boys or simply gatesville was a word that conjured up bad thoughts in the hearts and minds of boys all over Texas. A facility in an area of Texas with a 120 year history of perpetrating crimes of physical, sexual, mental and verbal abuse on the throw away kids of Texas. This blog is here to share the state boys story. c/s

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Lock Up


Texas Youth Commission Gatesville State School for Boys circa 1974-1977

Crises Intervention Center (CIC) aka Lock Up

During a time when TYC was spending everything it could to protect itself from Federal intervention in the form of the Morales vs. Turman law suit, the Gatesville facility was on life support. The Gatesville reception center where all new male inmates arriving to TYC had been moved to a newer facility in Brownwood and 2 wings at the old reception center in Gatesville were striped to nothing and used for CIC. According to historical witnesses this was an upgrade from the facility used at Hilltop.

Many of the boys who would have otherwise wound up in the Gatesville facility were rerouted to the recently made co-ed state school girls in Gainesville, the boy’s home in Giddings or remained in Brownwood and sent up the hill to the main school. At the time the old colored school for girls in Crocket was being used as a co-ed wilderness program.

A court order from the MvT case forced staff to stop the random beatings of juvenile inmates and many Gatesville dorm staff quit their state jobs because of a fear they would be unable to control the population.Those that stayed either evolved or were let go with cause, while those who struggled and having seniority were transferred to work CIC.

Maximum length of stay was 3 days; any stay longer up to 10 days required a phone call to Austin. Any stay longer than 10 days up to 30 days required a letter stating reason and every 30 days thereafter. There was only one rule in CIC, absolute quietness. Violation of this rule, depending on the mood of the staff, the penalty was deeper isolation in another wing and generally came with a beating. If you became loud enough to be heard in the other wing the penalty was being hung on the wall, also accompanied with a beating. The beating was always 2 or more grown men to one boy.

To accommodate the hanging of a boy on the wall the cell had tall windows with thick bars. The widows at one time could be opened but were sealed. However there was enough room to place a handcuff between the bar and outer thick glass on each side of the window and hang a boy by his wrist where he stood on tiptoe. Minimum length for hanging on the wall was 2 hours. Further noise rule violation would increase the time and in many cases was accompany with a beating.

For TYC at this time this methodology was considered humane in comparison to the decades earlier.

2 comments:

  1. Wow I've been trying to think of a comment to make I just can't think of anything I want to say that would probably be published(Lyles 47505)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently found this blog.

    1961-1962 Hilltop F company Wyoming Hall. 2 times in lockup and a short time at Mountain View before it was completed because lockup was full. Over the 60 years since I got out I have managed to bury all memories and thoughts about that time down out of my consciousness. By not thinking or discussing it with anyone, even my family, has caused me issues I wasn't aware of until reading some of the posts and shouting at my computer screen. I have had other incidents with authorities including FBI attempting to harass and threaten me in the early 1970s into doing things for them that I managed to refuse. I have not realized the amount of anger I have refused to acknowledge.

    Sheldon's post about the lockup methodology in 1974-1977 being considered humane in comparison to the decades earlier actually made me laugh. Yep, right on, as a victim of those earlier methods 15 years earlier I can attest to that.
    I may very well post more as therapeutic attempt to rid myself of the nightmares I have occasionally.

    ReplyDelete