The Gatesville State School for Boys

The Gatesville State School for Boys or simply gatesville was a word that conjured up bad thoughts in the hearts and minds of boys all over Texas. A facility in an area of Texas with a 120 year history of perpetrating crimes of physical, sexual, mental and verbal abuse on the throw away kids of Texas. This blog is here to share the state boys story. c/s

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Anti Gay sign in Gatesville Texas

Shortly after my trip through the prison economic based community of Gatesville Texas I saw this recent picture of this billboard on main street. The article had plenty of commentary regarding how backwards the thinking is in this prison built town and just as many arguments for the message it sends. But what struck me as significant is how that thinking effected us during those impressionable times in our lives while at the reform school. In this age of tolerance towards lifestyles that are different from our own how much closed mindedness did we acquire under that influence.
We shunned homosexuals who were placed in separate dorms just like we shunned other races. Many who have left notes on this blog talk about times when the segregation of races was in place and the slow desegregation. I was there when we all slept, ate, schooled, and worked in the same facility. However dropping a race was a serious offence. You didn’t go to the cloths room and ask for black shoe polish. I’m curious how much of that culture from back then effects how we relate to homosexuals as well as other races today. I sometimes wonder about some of those kids who passionately hated white people if they are still like that. And what about this kid who was on my dorm for a short time who could write his name on the glass using a bar of soap tucked in his butt checks. We thought it great entertainment until he was moved to the punk dorm.
As human beings we’re tribal by nature. Studies have shown that desegregating lock ups have increased organized gangs. But in a country that forces societal swirl in a state like Texas how much influence did the thinking of a backwoods town like Gatesville have on shaping our young impressionable minds.
I don’t think I would want any of my current gay or non white friends to know how I would have treated them while I was in Gatesville. Borrowing a line from Clint Eastwood’s movie Unforgiven “I aint like that no more”. Or am I?

5 comments:

  1. FYI.IN 1969 I WAS IN DORM 2 AT THE TERRACE FACILITY , ANOTHER BIG FUKIN BLACK GUY NAMED MR . DUDLEY THIS GUY WOULD PUT YOUR NEXT TO THE ELECTRICAL BOX AND SHOVE YOUR HEAD INTO IT , IF HE DIDNT LIKE YOUR PROFILE IN THE MON-NIN IT HURT, EVERY ONE ONE TIME OR ANOTHER GOT THE BOX, BAM YOU HEAD PUSHED INTO IT ,BIG STOGGEY SMOKEN COLORED GUY,DIDNT LIKE THE WHITE BOYS AT ALL

    ReplyDelete
  2. there was a Man named MR. Haynes like that in Live Oak , he used to make the white guys watch the coloreds as they got to play foot ball all the time and make the white kids watch . what an ass , racist ,the racism wasnt just among the kids there !!! hell i know they way a colored man treated me once just because i was a good lookin white kid and he had to deal with all these ugly colored kids made them jealous . but to them i was the racist one , what miss judgedment ! and Mr. Carole aka. big "C" ths man must been 300lbs BLACK. man was he black. he'd kill ya .I felt his rage one time. this was live oak 68-69

    ReplyDelete
  3. noone knows what mountainview was unless they were there. morgan ,gartman minks and others like them. had my nose broken. several times. they got off on brutalizing the kids. i chose to go to tdc rather than stay there. that was 46 years ago, i'll never forget nor forgive. may they all burn in hell

    ReplyDelete
  4. WELL RIGHT ON MR. TIM BEAVER, I HEAR YOU , I AM MICHAEL SCHWINN , I SPENT 3 & 1/2 FUCKING YRS THERE . THANK GOD I WAS ABLE TO JOIN THE UNITED STATES ARMY , AN AS YOU MIGHT OF READ SOME OF MY BLOGS , RANTING ABOUT THE ABUSE YES IT WAS BAD , ESPEACIALS FOR US WHITE KIDS , HAVING TO DEAL WITH THE COLORED BOYS DAY IN AND DAY OUT , ( NO WONDER I HAVE PTSD. ) AND THAT WAS BEFORE I ENLISTED... JUST LIKE VEITNAM ILL NEVER FOR GET OR FORGIVE , HOPE THEY ALL BURN IN HELL. AMEN TO THAT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz answer back as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thanks Sign Up Portal

    ReplyDelete