The Gatesville State School for Boys

The Gatesville State School for Boys or simply gatesville was a word that conjured up bad thoughts in the hearts and minds of boys all over Texas. A facility in an area of Texas with a 120 year history of perpetrating crimes of physical, sexual, mental and verbal abuse on the throw away kids of Texas. This blog is here to share the state boys story. c/s

Sunday, March 29, 2009

The worst ass whopping ever.

Up to the point of my buddies and I having a float trip on that hot July day in 1975 I really didn't know ass whoppin. I was about to be schooled on Coryell county ex state man ass whoopin style. Recall from the float trip story that I slipped the bell off the dog, well it was in my pocket when we got caught. That's right, I was the idiot who had lulubells bell and for that I was gona pay. Grabbed, thrown to the ground, hand cuffed and beaten was standard protocol for the hillbilly deputy's when apprehending dangerous state boy escapees. While spitting gravel out of my mouth this redneck deputy whom I was told was the kitchen was shining his boots on my belly. Hand cuffed with my hands behind my back, yanked up and made to stand against a state truck kitchens racked, hit in the stomach reputedly, until I could no longer stand. Then those red nicks through me in the back of a state truck and hauled us all off to cic, lockup.
Those were the clumsiest red necks, because as they took me from the truck to a security cell they kept banging my head against the floor and kicking my feet out from under me, careful not to leave any burses. That's when I first met Parker, a heavy set patch lees state shirt wearing red neck that loved to beat up on state boys. This ass hole took great pride in hanging boys on the wall and racking them. Everyone got a kick out of me taking kitchens dog bell, literally. You would have thought the dog was his bitch wife. If Gatesville State School for Boys was under a law suite no one bothered to tell the ass wipes in cic.
CIC was in one of the wings of the old reception center. The boys I ran with were already bedded down which told be they took there time getting me to cic. I was in the shower aria attempting to clean myself up when the kitchen wanted to see me. I made the mistake to take stance and several of them rushed me, took me to one of the empty dorms at the back of the reception center, hand cuffed me to a pole and took turns beating me. The next day after I woke up and someone came to check on me I was taken to the infirmary. I tried to complain about the kitchen and was told that none of that happened. That my injury's were sustained from the escape and the resistance I put up. I told my story several times after that and one day a salty old dorm man we called big t said that if the kitchen got a hold of me I wouldn't be telling this story. Then he said the old basturd must be losing his touch.

5 comments:

  1. I know the ass hole your talking about. Whooped me up real good back in 69. Not sure what happined to my partner I never saw him again. he did not go to lock up or back to riverside. They said he got away but i no better. Thats some crazy shit you want to have a reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my ass whooped pretty regular by Doug Schultz @ the Sycamore unit back in 1973-74. I remember Schultz quit after they stopped the beatings, saying he wouldn,t work here if he couldn;t whoop a state boy's ass. His favorite way was to lay you across his lap and beat you in the middle of your back, He said it left no bruises. I would get my ass whooped for thinks like not buffing the floor right. He would change your chores after the beating. I was all the way up to cleaning the urinals with a tooth brush and still didn't do that right.

    I remember one Sunday we were walking to church and we just kept walking right by it headed for town, they called out the gaurd and local cops to turn us around.
    I seen a cowboy come to our unit and the druggies tied him to a football goal post and beat him tell he was out his eyes were swollen shut and the gaurds just watched.
    One thing that I remember was the gaurds would use the state boys to beat on anybody they wanted or our privilages would be stopped. I never played in on this game, I even tried to get the boy's to stop which in turn got my ass whooped by them.
    I,m 53 years old now and if I ponder5ed to long on this I would remember more then I wanted. Oh and my crime was I got caught @ 16 have sex with a girl that was 15. Her mother was a teacher and her father worked in the Gregg county courthouse. I spent 14 mounths @ the Sycamore unit, it was in the front have of the furthest building from the school, I don,t remember what they called it. And when I left I didn't look back. Oh yeah you can still see the timer mark on my left wrist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess when I done the math right I was there 1971 -72

      Delete
  3. I just posted a coment on another blog describing my exsperances and I forgot about the gaurd that had you bend you over and grab your ancles them he do a windmill with a open hand on your back amount of times veried for the infraction. I was at Terrace and Hill Top in 1969 crime truintcey and running away from home (hippy) And I too still have a one timer mark on my left rist Im 55yrs.Ive seen some evil things go on and know thiers boys lives that have been reuined and scared. Me and my wife drove by TYC in the late 70s I felt all the pain from that place when we drove by. I hope kids are cared for and helped thru their hard growing up times now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEA MA I REMEMBER THE SYCAMORE SCHOOL BEING BUILT I COULD SEE FROM HACKBERRY THE RED BRICKS GOING UP IN 1967, WHEN I WASNT IN THE LOCK UP LATER ON I WAS IN THE FIRST GROUP THERAPY I GATESVILLE THE DOCTOR OR SHIRINK WOULD BRING US EACH A PACK OF MARLBOROS ONE OF THE GUYS NAME THERE WAS WILLIAM BRADY HE WAS 16YRS AT THE TIME , SAID HE HAD A HONDA 350cc AND WAS A WACO ANGEL , NOW I ALMOST BUST OUT LAUGHING RECOLLECTING THIS .HE WAS FROM SYCAMORE SCHOOL ONE OF THE FIRST THE OTHER COLORED BOY HE WAS FROM TERRACE...THAT WAS WHEN I WAS A ONE TIMER .MICHAEL SCHWINN A- 36525, 1966- 1970

    ReplyDelete